Maryland Colonial Society
26th Annual Essay Contest,
Contest Theme: "Hail to the Chief"
Write an essay
or design a web site about the concept of the president of the U.S. as
commander in chief. Some possible sources to explore:
- Maryland State Archives
- Maryland Historical Society
Please call Mimi
Calver on 410.260.6444 with any questions.
Return to Colonial Essay Contest page
- Each student may enter either a written
essay or a web site, or a class may develop a web site as a class project.
One entry per student and one entry per class.
- Both Internet and printed sources
must be used and bibliographies and footnotes are required. Preference
will be given to essays citing primary source research.
- Written essays must be between 1000-1500
- Only one web site entry per class.
- Web site entries must be submitted
with a paper copy with URL address, if available.
- Contest is open to students in Maryland
schools in grades 9-12.
- Entries must be received no later than
March 16, 2007. Send entries to:
Maryland Colonial Society, Inc.
c/o Mimi Calver
Maryland State Archives
350 Rowe Boulevard
Annapolis MD 21401
- Winners will be announced on March
26, 2006, and awards will be presented at a ceremony at the Maryland Historical
Society in Baltimore. Winning students and classes will be notified ahead
- Entrants must include with their entry
- Home mailing address
- Grade and school
- Name of school principal
- The decisions of the judges will be
- All entries become the property of
the Maryland Colonial Society and will not be returned.