Archives of Maryland
(Biographical Series)

Charles T. Westcott (1848-1911)
MSA SC 3520-14784


Born Charles Tylden Westcott on January 6, 1848, in Chestertown, Kent County, Maryland. Son of Anna Maria Tylden and George B. Westcott, who served in the House of Delegates 1861-1864. Graduated, Washington College, Chestertown, 1866; business college, Baltimore City, 1867; Columbia College Law School, 1871. Married Mary J. Guilson (b. 1847), September 17, 1873. Five children:  Charles T., Jr.; John G. (b. 1876); Anna Maria (b. 1880); Eunice M. (b. 1883); and Ferebe G. (b. 1886). Died in Baltimore City, Maryland, on December 15, 1911.

Lawyer and businessman. Studied law with Richard Hynson prior to attending law school. Practiced law in Chestertown. President, Chestertown Board of Town Commissioners. Served in State Senate, 1896 and 1898; Republican. Board of Directors, Chestertown National Bank, 1871; President, 1887. Owner, Chestertown Waterworks; Strawbridge Mill. Director, Mutual Fire Insurance Company; Building & Loan Association; Chester Cemetery Company. Board of Visitors and Governors, Washington College. Moved to Baltimore City to pursue business opportunities there, including the International Trust Company. President, Mapes Central Sugar Company of Cuba. Vestryman, Emmanuel Protestant Episcopal Church, Chestertown.

Return to Charles T. Westcott's Introductory Page

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright Thursday, 19-Apr-2012 14:27:53 EDT Maryland State Archives