Archives of Maryland
(Biographical Series)

Grayson Eichelberger (1821-1870)
MSA SC 3520-12977


Born in Emmitsburg, Frederick County, Maryland, 1821.  Son of Col. George M. Eichelberger and Jane Grayson.  Attended Mt. Saint Mary's College; valedictorian. Studied law; admitted to the bar, 1843.  Married to Amanda Baugher, the daughter of Isaac and Ann Elizabeth Baugher  (d. 1885).  Eight children, including three sons and one daughter who died young, Ella V., Effie G., Edward S., and Robert G.  Resided in the city of Frederick.  Died February 17, 1870.  Buried in Mount Olivet Cemetery.

Lawyer in private practice, Frederick, 1860s.  Member of the bar, Frederick County.  Maryland Secretary of State, 1861.  Maryland Senate, Frederick County, 1861-64.  Commissioner to re-organize the militia of the state, appointed by Governor Augustus W. Bradford.  State bounty commissioner, 1865-67.  Member, Board of Visitors, Deaf and Dumb Asylum; Board of Trustees, Frederick College and Frederick Female Seminary; Board of Directors, Central National Bank. Active with the Presbyterian Church. Described as "a man of strong Union principles [who] did much to foster such sentiments in his own section of the county...during the war".1

1. Portrait and Biographical Record of the Sixth Congressional District, Maryland, p. 427.

Return to Grayson Eichelberger's Introductory Page

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright Friday, 03-Aug-2007 14:50:04 EDT Maryland State Archives