Alcaeus Hooper (1859-1938)
MSA SC 3520-12481
Source: Wilbur F. Coyle, The Mayors of Baltimore (Reprinted
from The Baltimore Municipal Journal, 1919), 173-177.
|Alcaeus Hooper was Mayor of Baltimore from November 20th, 1895, to
November 17th, 1897.
Two fire-engine companies were added to the department, six schoolhouses were erected, numerous extensions to the storm-water sewers were constructed and many streets were repaved while Mr. Hooper was Mayor. Permission to extend many street-car lines was also granted. Provision was made for opening several streets for a few blocks each. Ordinances authorizing the acquisition of a lot of ground at southwest corner of Madison and Lafayette Avenues, and for purchasing two buildings on Hanover street adjacent to Primary School No. 4, were approved. Authority was given the Electrical Commission to continue placing wires underground. The Home Telephone and Telegraph Company was granted permission to use the municipal conduits. An ordinance requiring the street railway companies to sprinkle streets along their lines was approved. A $1,600,000 loan for funding the floating debt of the City was approved, and a $1,000,000 loan for constructing underground wire conduits was passed. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad was authorized to use electricity as a motive power and also a dummy steam engine on Pratt and other streets. A Councilmanic resolution was passed requesting Maryland Representatives and Senators in the United States Congress to secure an appropriation to dredge, widen and deepen the channel in Middle Branch (Spring Gardens). An extension to Carroll Park was made. Authority to lease a site and erect a Colored High School was granted. The construction of the Mount Royal Pumping Station was begun in 1897, and the corner-stone of the new Court House was laid June 25th, 1896.
* * * * * *
Mr. Hooper, manufacturer and capitalist, was born in Baltimore, January
2nd, 1859. His father, William Hooper, was also largely interested
in the manufacture of cotton duck, and in this industry the son continued.
Mr. Hooper was educated in Baltimore, principally at Lamb's School, from
which he was graduated with honors. Becoming identified with public
affairs, he was a member of the School Board from 1888 to 1892, during
which time he evinced a lively interest in municipal matters. He
was candidate for Presidential Elector on the Republican ticket in 1892.
On November 7th, 1893, Mr. Hooper, Republican, was elected to the First
Branch of the City Council, and the following year, being re-elected, was
chosen President of that Branch. The term of that period was for
one year. In the Republican Convention of 1895 Mr. Hooper was nominated
for Mayor over William T. Malster. At the general election he (Hooper)
was the successful candidate, winning over Henry Williams, Democrat, by
nearly 9,000 plurality. Mayor Hooper's administration was characterized
by a division between himself and the City Council about municipal appointments.
After a controversy the Council finally passed a series of ordinances over
the veto of the Mayor, which took the power of making certain departmental
appointments from him and lodged it with the Joint Convention of the City
Council. Mr. Hooper's contention was later upheld by the Court of
Appeals of Maryland which reversed a decision of the lower tribunal.
Mr. Hooper retired from active business in 1893. After leaving the
Mayoralty he served as a member of the School Board for some years, resigning
during the administration of Mayor Mahool. Mr. Hooper's wife was
Miss Florence Gees. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church
and has been a generous contributor to Goucher College.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov