George Stiles (1760-1819)
MSA SC 3520-12467
Source: Wilbur F. Coyle, The Mayors of Baltimore (Reprinted
from The Baltimore Municipal Journal, 1919), 19-21.
|George Stiles, Mayor of Baltimore, 1816, resigned February 9th, 1819.
Mayor Stiles' electors were balloted for October 7th, 1816, and October 5th, 1818, respectively. Upon the Mayor resigning, the electors chose Edward Johnson formerly Mayor, for the remainder of the term.
During these (Stiles) administrations, the first Belair Market house was erected, and Hanover Market was completed. Pratt Street was opened from Charles Street to Jones Falls and three quays, now parts of Ellicott Street, Hollingsworth Street and Cheapside were filled. The City limits were extended to 13 202/1000 square miles by Act of Assembly passed February 3rd, 1817. Traffic (speed limit) regulations for vehicles and a system of garbage collection were proposed. The Eastern City Spring lot was acquired. Streets were first illuminated by gas during this administration. Jones Falls was in part walled in, but a deluge of this stream occurred August 9th, 1817.
Ordinances regulating the manner of paving street Jones and alleys (river stones or pebbles and cobblestones only to be used), and authority to use name plates to indicate various streets were approved. Provision to divide the City, as enlarged, into twelve wards and to construct part of the Harford street (Central Avenue) sewer was made.
Mayor Stiles was born in 1760, and, like many of the Mayors of Baltimore before and after him, was a merchant, but it is assumed he was the "Captain Stiles" referred to by historians as the commander of the marine artillery stationed on the waterfront at Fort McHenry during the bombardment in 1814.
He died June 16th, 1819, and was buried in the cemetery at Broadway and Gay Street.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov