Millard E. Tydings (1890-1961)
MSA SC 3520-1726
Born in Havre de Grace, Harford County, Md., April 6, 1890; attended the public schools of Harford County; graduated from Maryland Agricultural College (now the University of Maryland) in 1910; studied law at the University of Maryland Law School. Admitted to the bar, 1913. Died at his farm, "Oakington," near Havre de Grace, Md., February 9, 1961. Buried at Angel Hill Cemetery.
Civil engineer with the Baltimore Ohio Railroad, West Virginia, 1911. Practiced law in Havre de Grace after 1913 and in Baltimore and Washington, D.C. after 1951. Member, state house of delegates, 1916-1921; speaker of the house 1920-1922. Served as a private on the Mexican border at Eagle Pass, Texas, 1916; enlisted as a private in the First World War in 1917; promoted to lieutenant colonel and division machine-gun officer in 1918; served in Germany with the Army of Occupation; discharged from the service in 1919. Member, state senate, 1922-1923. U.S. Representative (Democrat), 1923-1927; was not a candidate for renomination in 1926, having become a candidate for United States Senator. U.S. Senator, (Democrat), 1927-1951; was an unsuccessful candidate for reelection in 1950. Chair, Committee on Territories and Insular Possessions, Committee on Armed Services. Nominated in 1956 as Democratic candidate for the United States Senate but withdrew before election due to ill health. Author of The Machine Gunners of the Blue and Gray Division (1920), Before and After Prohibition (1930), and Counter-Attack: A Battle Plan to Defeat the Depression (1933).
Return to Millard E. Tydings' Introductory Page
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov