Carroll T. Bond (1873-1943)
MSA SC 3520-1630
Born in Baltimore City, June 13, 1873. Son of James Bond and Elizabeth Lyon Bond. Attended Lamb's School; Phillips Exeter Academy, New Hampshire; Harvard University, B.A., 1894; University of Maryland School of Law, LL.B., 1896. Admitted to the Maryland Bar, 1896. Unmarried. Died in Baltimore City, January 18, 1943. Buried in Green Mount Cemetery, Baltimore City.
Served in the Maryland National Guard, Spanish-American War, 1896-99. Practiced law in Baltimore for 15 years. Associate, Marshall, Marbury & Bowdoin; later Marbury & Bowdoin; later partner in Williams & Bond, and Marbury & Gosnell. Member, Board of School Commissioners, Baltimore City, after 1911. Trial Judge, Supreme Bench of Baltimore City (now Circuit Court for Baltimore City), 1911-24. Associate Judge, Maryland Court of Appeals, 1924; Chief Judge, 1924-43. Honorary doctorate of Laws, the Johns Hopkins University, 1924. Author of The Court of Appeals of Maryland: A History. Baltimore: Barton-Gillet Company, 1928. Chair, Commission on the Judiciary Article of the Constitution (the "Bond Commission" for modernizing and reorganizing the Court of Appeals). President, Harvard Club of Maryland, 1909. Member, Board of Trustees, Harriet Lane Home for Invalid Children. Chair, Hall of Records Commission. Trustee, Peabody Institute; Provident Hospital. Member, Phi Beta Kappa.
Return to Carroll T. Bond's Introductory Page
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov