Archives of Maryland
(Biographical Series)

Richard Henry Alvey (1826-1906)
MSA SC 3520-1626

Born in St. Mary's County, March 6, 1826.  Son of George Alvey and Harriet Wicklin Alvey.  Studied law.  Admitted to the Maryland Bar, 1849.  Married Mary Wharton in 1856 (d. 1860), one child; and Julia Jones Hays in 1862, nine children.  Died in Hagerstown, Washington County, September 14, 1906.

Deputy, clerk's office of Charles County, 1844-50.  Practiced law in Hagerstown, 1850-61; after 1862.  Presidential Elector for Maryland, 1852.  Authored the "Alvey Resolution" outlining the state's rights view, 1861; subsequently arrested by federal troops and held as a southern sympathizer.  Delegate, 1867 Constitutional Convention of Maryland; Chair, Committee on Representation.  Chief Judge, Washington, Allegany, and Garrett Counties Circuit Court, Fourth Judicial Circuit, 1867-83.  Judge, Maryland Court of Appeals, 1867-83; Chief Judge, 1883-93.  Lecturer in law, National University, Washington D.C.  Appointed by President Cleveland Chief Justice, District of Columbia Court of Appeals, 1893-1904.  Member of the U.S. Commission to settle a boundary dispute between Venezuela and British Guiana, 1896.  Chancellor, National University, Washington, D.C., 1897-1904.  Honorary LL.D., Princeton University, New Jersey; St. John's College, Annapolis.  

Return to Richard Henry Alvey's Introductory Page


This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

© Copyright Monday, 08-Oct-2001 21:03:09 EDT Maryland State Archives