clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e
  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search search for:
clear space
white space
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 717   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


erset County because he was active in the militia
during the Revolution and he was the only George
Scott living in Somerset County during that time

SCOTT, GUSTAVUS (1753-1800). BORN: in 1753
at "Westwood," Prince William County, Vir-
ginia; youngest son. IMMIGRATED: ca. 1771 from
Prince William County, Virginia, to Somerset
County. RESIDED: in Somerset County ca. 1772;
Dorchester County by 1778; Baltimore Town ca.
1793; at "Rock Hill," Georgetown, Washington,
D.C., 1795-1800; probably spent some time on
his farm, "Strawberry Vale," in Virginia, about
9 miles from Washington, D.C., 1787-1800. FAM-
ILY BACKGROUND. FATHER: Rev. James Scott (?-

1782), who immigrated from Scotland ca. 1730;
rector of Dettinger Parish, Prince William County,
Virginia, 1745-1782; owned over 10,000 acres in
Stafford, Fauquier, Fairfax, and Prince William
counties during lifetime. MOTHER: Sarah (1715-
1784), daughter of Dr. Gustavus Brown (1689-
1762) and wife Francis Fowke (1691/92-1744) of
Charles County. AUNTS: Cecilia Brown (1730/31-
?), who married second, Thomas Bond (?-ca.
1797); Ann Brown (1732-ca. 1800), who married
third, Samuel Hanson (1716-1794). STEPAUNT:
Margaret Brown (1749/50-1787), who married
Thomas Stone (1743-1787). BROTHERS. Alex-
ander (1740-by 1762); William (ca. 1751-1787);
Capt. James (1742-1779), a member of the Vir-
ginia House of Burgesses and Virginia Conven-
tion, 1775-1776, who married Elizabeth Harri-
son; Rev. John (ca. 1747-1785), educated at King's
College, Scotland, returned to Maryland as pri-
vate chaplain to Gov. Robert Eden in 1769, de-
clared a "disaffected person" by the Maryland
Convention in 1776 and ordered to leave the East-
ern Shore of Maryland, subsequently moved to
Prince William County, Virginia, married Eliz-
abeth Gordon; and Robert (ca. 1749-by 1782),
lost at sea, who married Catherine Stone, daugh-
ter of David Stone (1709-1773), sister of Thomas
Stone (1743-1787), John Hoskins Stone (1750-
1804), and Michael Jennifer Stone (1747-1812).
SISTERS: Helen (1739-1795), who married Hon.
Cuthbert Bullitt (1740-1791), judge of the Gen-
eral Court of Virginia; Catherine (1741-?), who
married Dr. William Brown (ca. 1752-1792) of
Fairfax County, Virginia; and Christian (1745-
?), who married Col. Thomas Blackburn (ca. 1740-
1807), a justice of Prince William County, 1769.
FIRST COUSINS: Philip Key (1750-1820); Thomas
Bond (?-ca. 1797); Samuel Hanson, of Samuel

(ca. 1752-1830); Chloe Hanson (ca. 1743-?), who
married George Lee (1736-1807); Mildred Han-
son (ca. 1746-by 17%), who married William Baker
(ca. 1749-1812); and Eleanor Hanson (?-1796),
who married Henry Henley Chapman (?-1821).
MARRIED on February 16, 1777, Margaret Hall
(1759-1826), daughter of Hall Caile (1733-1761)
and wife Elizabeth Haskins (1733-1805) of Dor-
chester County. Her brother was John Hall Caile
(1761-1783). Her sister was Mary (1756-1812),
who married first, in 1773, her first cousin John
Caile Harrison (1747-1780), and second, in 1789,
Thomas James Bullitt. CHILDREN. SONS: Robert
Caile (1778-?), who died in infancy; John Caile
(1781-1840), who married in 1802 Anne Love;
Gustavus Hall (1786-?), who married in 1806
Elizabeth Douglas Marshall; William Bushrod
(1791-?), who married Anne Holton; and Robert
James (1798-1834), who married in 1818 Mary
Ann Lewis. DAUGHTERS: Elizabeth (1799-1847),
who married in 1810 Capt. Robert Rankin; Mary
Caile (1784-1806); Christiana (1788-?), who
married in 1808 Charles Tyler; and Juliana, who
married Capt. Robert De War Wainwiight. PRI-
VATE CAREER. EDUCATION: studied at King's Col-
lege, Scotland, 1765-1767; entered Middle Tem-
ple, London, England, 1767; completed studies,
1771. RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION: Anglican, Great
Choptank Parish, 1791. OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE:
lawyer; admitted to following courts: Dorchester
County, Somerset County, and Provincial Court,


ventions, Somerset County, 4th, 1775, 5th, 1775,
6th-8th, 1775-1776, 9th, 1776; Lower House,
Dorchester County, 1780-1781 (Grievances 2),
1783 (elected on December 8, 1783, to fill va-
cancy), 1784. OTHER STATE OFFICE: Potomac River
Commission, appointed 1784. LOCAL OFFICE:
served on a Commission of Health in Baltimore
during an outbreak of yellow fever, 1793. OUT OF
STATE SERVICE: delegate, Continental Congress,
1784-1785 (elected December 1784, but did not
attend either session); commissioner for Wash-
ington, D.C., appointed by Pres. George Wash-
ington, August 23, 1794, served until death (in
1796 Scott offered to resign because of ill health,
but Washington refused his resignation). ADDI-
TIONAL COMMENTS: In 1797, when the monies
provided by Maryland and Virginia to erect pub-
lic buildings in the capital were found to be in-
sufficient, Scott and two of his associates person-
ally secured a loan of $100,000 from the State of
Maryland to the "impecunious national govern-



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 717   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 31, 2014
Maryland State Archives