clear space clear space clear space white space
 r c h i v e s   o f   M a r y l a n d   O n l i n e
  Maryland State Archives | Index | Help | Search search for:
clear space
white space
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 604   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  
clear space clear space clear space white space


MORRIS, WILLIAM (?-1799). BORN: in
Worcester County, of age by 1770. NATIVE: sec-
ond generation. RESIDED: in Queponco Hundred,
Capt. John Morris (1720-1782), a mariner, who
immigrated to Worcester County from New Jer-
sey by 1747. He was the son of John Morris of
New Jersey. MOTHER. Mary (1723-?), daughter
of James Round (1693/94-1738/39) and wife
Catherine Watts (1692-1764). BROTHERS. James
Round (ca. 1750-1795), Esq., clerk of Worcester
County from 1778 to 1795, who married in 1780
Lean, daughter of William Winder (1714/15-1792);
Justus (Justice) (?-by 1787), who married Rachel
(?-by 1796). SISTERS: Catherine; Mary. MARRIED
first, by 1780, his first cousin Catherine (?-by
1786), daughter of Capt. Edward Round (?-1773)
and wife Ann. Catherine's stepfather was Dr.
Henry Stevenson of Baltimore County, a prom-
inent physician and a British loyalist. She was the
granddaughter of James Round (1693-1738/39).
Her brother was Edward Henry. MARRIED sec-
ond, by 1788, Esther, daughter of David Wilson.
Esther was the stepdaughter of Sarah Done. She
was the granddaughter of both David Wilson (1704-
1750) and William Winder (1714/15-1792). She
was the niece of John Winder (1745-1822); Wil-
liam Winder, Jr. (?-1808); Levin Winder (1757-
1819); Samuel Wilson (1735-1790); and Esther
Winder, who married first, Isaac Handy (1743-
ca. 1774), and second, William Polk (1752-1812).
Her brother was Ephraim King. Her stepbrother
was John Done (ca. 1747-1831). Her sisters were
Nancy, who married Levin Handy; Polly. Her
cousin was Henrietta Wilson, who married Arnold
Elzey (ca. 1758-1818). MARRIED third, by Nov.
25, 1796, Nancy, widow of James Polk (?-1795).
CHILDREN. SONS: Edward Round (?-by 1801);
David Wilson (?-by 1812); and William Justus
(Justice) (?-by 1799). PRIVATE CAREER. EDUCA-
Esq., by 1783. OCCUPATIONAL PROFILE: probably
planter; owned a 116-ton brigantine in partner-
ship with eleven others, 1789. PUBLIC CAREER.
LEGISLATIVE SERVICE: Conventions, Worcester
County, 1st, 1774, 5th, 1775; Lower House,
Worcester County, 1780-1781 (Grievances; Pub-
lic Taxes 2), 1781-1782 (Grievances 2), 1782-
1783, 1783, 1784 (elected, but did not serve).
OTHER STATE OFFICES: Constitution Ratification
Convention, Worcester County, 1788. LOCAL OF-
FICE register of wills, Worcester County, 1770-
1780; commissioner of the tax, Worcester County,
appointed 1778, 1779; justice, Worcester County,

1777, 1782, and 1784 (appointed, but did not
qualify); judge, Court of Appeals appointed under
the "Act to Procure Troops," Worcester County,
1778; justice, Orphans' Court, Worcester County,
1777, 1782, 1784; judge, Court of Appeals for
Tax Assessment, Worcester County, 1786; as-
sociate justice, Fourth District, Worcester County,
1791; associate justice, Worcester County, 1796-
1799. MILITARY SERVICE: major, Snow Hill Bat-
talion, Worcester County Militia, 1777; It. colo-
nel, Synepuxent Battalion, Worcester County
provided by deed and will for the manumission
of his slaves over a period of time extending to
1824; subscriber to Washington College; his per-
sonal library included literature, philosophy, re-
ligion, and law books. WEALTH DURING LIFETIME.
PERSONAL PROPERTY: assessed value £618.15.0,
including 14 slaves, 9 oz. plate, and between 30
and 38 slaves, 1790. LAND AT FIRST ELECTION: 210
acres in Worcester County (all by purchase). SIG-
TION AND DEATH: received 240 acres from his father
by deed of gift, purchased 350 acres from his
father, and sold 400 acres with his father, all in
Worcester County, 1774; acquired 1,932 acres in
Worcester County and a lot in Snow Hill through
his wife's inheritance, 1774-1780; purchased 100
acres and sold 335 acres in Worcester County,
1780-1781; purchased 413 acres in Worcester
County and a lot in Snow Hill, 1782, land which
had been confiscated as British property and which
had belonged to his wife's stepfather, Dr. Henry
Stevenson of Baltimore County; conveyed 1,242
acres in Worcester County and a lot in Snow Hill
to relatives between 1782 and 1790; purchased
327 acres in Worcester County in 1790, probably
for a new dwelling plantation; assessed for 400
acres and a house on one acre in Wicomico
Hundred, Somerset County, 1798; sold 478 acres
between 1788 and 1799, all in Worcester County,
including his dwelling plantation, "Linnath."
WEALTH AT DEATH. DIED, between February 5 and
February 14, 1799, in Worcester County. PER-
SONAL PROPERTY: TEV, $8,990.79 (including 22
slaves, 41 oz. plate, and 36 book titles); FB,
$7,795.55. LAND. ca. 1,900 acres in Worcester,
Somerset, and Baltimore counties.

MOUNTAGUE, STEPHEN (ca. 1636-1672)
BORN: ca. 1636, probably in England. IMMI-
GRATED: by 1659, as a free adult. RESIDED: in
Charles County. CHILDREN. No known de-
scendants. PRIVATE CAREER. EDUCATION: literate.



clear space
clear space
white space

Please view image to verify text. To report an error, please contact us.
A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature 1635-1789 by Edward C. Papenfuse, et. al.
Volume 426, Page 604   View pdf image (33K)
 Jump to  

This information resource of the Maryland State Archives is presented here for fair use in the public domain. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: Rights assessment for associated source material is the responsibility of the user.

Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!

[ Archives' Home Page  ||  All About Maryland  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

An Archives of Maryland electronic publication.
For information contact

©Copyright  October 31, 2014
Maryland State Archives