Captain Berry's Will
- In this exercise you will examine the original probate records relating to the estate of Captain William Berry. First turn to the Orphan's Court Proceedings taken from from Maryland State Archives PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY REGISTER OF WILLS (Orphan's Court Proceedings) 1777-1790. MSA C 1275-1. Click here for:
- For the original inventory of Berry's personal effects taken from Maryland State Archives, PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY REGISTER OF WILLS (Original Inventories), MSA C 1229-28-24, click here.
- For the original accounting of the disposition of Berry's estate taken from Maryland State Archives, PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY REGISTER OF WILLS (Administration Accounts), [ST 1 9806], MSA C 1144-5, click here.
- Compare the original manuscript of the proceedings to the transcript. Are there any differences?
- Who are the principal players?
- What do you learn about Berry and his family from the inventory and the account?
Return to syllabus.
Course format, syllabus, and lectures ŠEd Papenfuse
Dr. Edward C. Papenfuse (instructor)
Maryland State Archives
Phone: (o) 410-260-6401